Wednesday, December 15, 2010

HE NOW ALWAYS SAYS BRANDY OR ALE

From the Boston Saturday Evening Gazette. Published in the New York Tomes, November 16, 1884.

HE NOW ALWAYS SAYS BRANDY OR ALE
From the Boston Saturday Evening Gazette.
    A newly arrived Englishman, the other day, expressed surprise at the difficulty he experienced in understanding the language of the country. "Why you know," he said, "a very nice fellow, the other evening, asked me if I didn't feel like a 'histeing.' I didn't like to confess my ignorance, and so I said I did feel like it sometimes. Then he asked me what my weakness was. Of course, I at once came to the conclusion that 'histeing' was a complaint, and I answered that I thought my weakness was principally in my stomach. He at once said he would fill me plumb full of the old stuff, and make me feel like a daisy. You can imagine my surprise when I found out he wanted me to drink with him. Why couldn't he say it, you know, at once? Another awfully jolly fellow asked me the other morning if I wouldn't toss a (high)ball before breakfast, and when I expressed me willingness to have a little exercise before eating, I was staggered by discovering that tossing a ball was drinking a gin cocktail. Now, whenever they ask me something I do not understand, I always reply brandy or Bass's ale, and I find I hit the mark every time."

1 comment:

  1. ...a "histing" best I can tell literally means a raising so...I'm guessing it was late 19th century slang for a "pick me up".

    ReplyDelete