Friday, December 10, 2010

Turf Cocktail No. 2

TURF COCKTAIL NO.2



Basically a simplified Martinez, this cocktail appears in Jacques Straub's 1914 book, "Drinks" with the following instructions:

Turf Cocktail No.2


2 dashes Angostura bitters
1/3 jigger Italian Vermouth
2/3 jigger Holland Gin.  Stir


Super simple, I used 2 oz of Zuidam 5 Oude Genever, 1 oz of Carpano Antica Italian sweet vermouth and added a lemon twist.

Not quite dark, not quite light...if there was a "medium and stirred" category this would qualify. It's nice, I also noticed the flavors improving as the drink warmed a bit.

2 comments:

  1. Just made one! Tasty, smooth and a little spicy. I used Boomsma Genever, it is the only one I have been able to find in Denver. Where did you get the Zuidam?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried the Boomsma but hear it is good. The Zuidam was a gift but you can order it here: http://bit.ly/ffZDTE

    ReplyDelete