Friday, March 4, 2011

Easy




An Old Waldorf Bar Days Recipe





Easy


1 3/4 ounces (52.5 ml) Bombay Dry Gin
1/4 oz (7.5 ml) Carpano Antica Vermouth
1 dash Angostura Orange Bitters


Shake and Strain into a cocktail glass.

I'll admit that I was in the mood for something easy and gin forward when I came across this one. It's very much both of those things. A great choice for gin lovers.

I have made and enjoyed a lot of shaken gin martinis in my day prior to discovering the wonders of the mixing glass.

While common wisdom today would call for this to be stirred, and I would certainly agree looking at the list, I decided to follow the instructions on this one.

This is very gin forward and does take me back to my early days with the martini, though this is much better than any I tried back then.

Do be careful adding the orange bitters, it is easy to overdo them, 3-5 drops and your good. A healthy "dash" right from the standard sized bottle is likely to be too much.

The drink is almost all gin, and that's what you end up tasting the most, but the touch of sweet vermouth adds just enough character to the drink to make it interesting. The orange bitters, when not overdone, makes up for the lack of zested citrus peel garnish and gives the drink some nice clean citrus notes.

If you do stir this, give it a good long stir with lots of ice to reach maximum chill (2-3 minutes). This drink should be served ice cold - and since shaking is the most efficient way to reach that temperature it is not a bad way to go, especially when you are in the mood for something easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment