Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Shamrock



OK....I guess I can't let the day get away without one more quick post. It's called the Shamrock, it's green, and it's St. Patty's day - and I know that the Jimmie Lee, though good, will not be for everyone. So here's another for you if you happen to still be looking for a little more Saint Patrick's Day inspiration.

It comes from Hugo R. Ensslin's 1916 Recipes for Mixed Drinks.




The Shamrock:


1 1/2 ounces (45 ml) Red Breast Irish Whiskey
1 1/2 ounces (45 ml) Noilly Prat Dry Vermouth
1/4 tsp (1.25 ml) green Chartreuse
1/4 tsp (1.25 ml) Creme de Menthe


Stir with cracked ice, strain into a chilled cocktail glass and serve with an olive.

This isn't the first time I've mixed this one, or the first time I've thought the olive was a bit much to be honest.

It's a very strange drink, the olive's saltiness tends to be a bit distracting to me making me thing it could be a contrived garnish to go with the "green" theme. An actual shamrock, or bit of mint makes more sense to me.

Still, like I said, it's not the first time I've made this one. The fact that it is half Irish Whiskey still surprises as I sip away. The Creme de Menthe just seems to add color and no strong flavor other than to lighten the strong herbals of the chartreuse green with a hint of mint. Overall, a very enjoyable cocktail.

So, should you feel compelled to make a "green martini" for this or a future St. Patrick's day celebration, consider this alternative from the last known bartender's guide to be published in NYC before prohibition.

(By the way, the olive does make an excellent treat at the end, probably why I still use it.)


No comments:

Post a Comment