Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Monster Mash



I saw some very well deserved Midori bashing on Twitter today. As usual, it was in the context of being suggested alongside its usual "isle-mates"; green apple "pucker", margarita mix, vodka  and other such nonsense.

Suntory could use some support right now, and Midori is actually a high-quality liqueur.

Midori's (ahem...again I must say, "very well deserved") 1970's reputation aside...it does not take much of the stuff to flavor a drink, and when your mix can actually temper this beast - it is of very good value and utility.

Along with more good news that I caught on Twitter today regarding the eminent return of the gentian-cult favorite "Suze" to the U.S. market - I knew it must be time to post this drink.

The "Monster Mash" has been an occasional part of my rotation for several months now. It is a combination of rye whiskey, Suze and Midori. I know that the mix sounds bizarre, it really works for me though. I hope you find it to your liking as well.

I have found that robust ryes like "Wild Turkey Rye 101" holds up best here. It's quick and easy, and sometimes they go down well...really, really well.

The Monster Mash


1 1/2 ounces (45 ml) Rye Whiskey
1 ounce (30 ml) Suze
1/2 ounce (22 ml) Midori
* 1-2 dashes rhubarb bitters (optional)


Build in glass over large ice cube, stir and enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment