Wednesday, March 23, 2011

FANCIULLI



An Old Waldorf Bar Days Recipe



FANCIULLI

1 1/2 ounces (45 ml) Whiskey
3/4 ounce (22 ml) Sweet (Italian!) Vermouth
3/4 ounce (22 ml) Fernet Branca

Build in glass over large ice cube, stir. Garnish with lemon twist.

Fernet all the way! If you are already familiar with Fernet Branca...and enjoy it - then you should like this one. If not, it is probably best that you get acquainted with Fernet on its own first.

To my tastes, the Fernet overly dominated the drink when I used a mild and sweet bourbon like "Four Roses Small Batch" along with the very sweet and aromatic Carpano Antica vermouth. It wasn't like a straight shot of Fernet, (not that there's anything wrong with that), the vermouth and bourbon certainly tempered it - but the mix was extremely Fernet forward. 

I found that when I switched to the more robust flavors of "Punt e Mes" vermouth along with a big flavored bourbon like "Kentucky Pure XO", that the Fernet was more in balance. It struck me more as a "Fernet Manhattan", which I must say I've found to be very enjoyable. Frankly speaking, Fernet Branca usually lasts me quite a while, but this combination could be a "bottle drainer" for me!

Whatever your preferences, this recipe is a great way to enjoy Fernet Branca.


No comments:

Post a Comment